19 April 2008

Wednesday: Fight hyperventilating!

My dad is completely awesome and somehow managed to get us seats on a fabulous nonstop flight from Portland (PDX) to Logan (BOS) on Alaskan. It was awesome. Not so awesome: the flight left at 7:00 AM. Luckily, my trips back to Kentucky and Indiana for FFA's National Convention have prepared me well, and I was able to pull an all-nighter packing and be somewhat lucid when we drove to the airport at 4 in the freaking morning.

The flight itself was rather uneventful. There was a screaming toddler in front of us - not so much fun there. And I did that whole annoying fade in-and-out of sleep thing that I cannot stand. I was pretty sad because I accomplished ZERO on part of the Communications plan for an upcoming FFA contest. The only thing I managed to do was keep myself from vomiting everywhere and hyperventilating. I was so unbelievably scared. Terrified beyond all belief. I was kind of nervous on the flight because I was really unsure of what to expect, and as soon as Boston came into view through the window I about died. It was so big! I could hardly stay in my seat. I was so nervous (and it's making me nervous just thinking about how nervous I was). I've done a lot of things that I've been nervous about. A speech in front of 1000 people on a topic I was clueless about, a national level Sales contest, singing in the fall musical my freshman year - but I've never been as nervous as I was when we started the descent into Boston.

When we finally landed and I had sort of stopped shaking, my dad and I decided that we should drive around Boston and Cambridge in our shiny rental car. I really wanted to drive by MIT before CPW to calm my nerves a bit. BAD IDEA.

First Lesson Learned: People there don't know how to drive.
No, really. No offense if you drive like the people in Boston, but it's just pure insanity compared to drivers in Oregon. You have to be a very aggressive driver and the people can smell your fear. If you hesitate, you're doomed. I feel really bad for my dad who had to navigate through that mess. Oh, and people don't use crosswalks! There's a joke about Oregonians - that they will wait on a deserted street corner in the rain, just for the light to change so they can cross the street. Not always true, but a good generalization. Not even remotely close in Boston.

Despite the craziness that was the city streets, I am so glad I got a quick preview of MIT. I wasn't as nervous the next day...

No comments: